The Public Works Department is the arm of city services that maintains our city streets and city properties. The Public Works Department also handles city drainage problems and assists in keeping our community clean. The Animal Control Office, although a section of the Demopolis Police Department, is housed within the Public Works Department.
Limb & Debris Pickup
Limbs, bagged leaves, small wood and metal debris can be removed from your curb by the Public Works Department. Arrow Disposal picks up furniture and appliances the second pick-up of each week.
The Public Works Department sprays our city for mosquitoes.
The Public Works Department does not repair water leaks. Please contact the Utility Department at 334-289-3328 to report a water leak.
PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT REMINDS RESIDENTS
OF PROPER TRASH “DISPOSAL”
The Demopolis Public Works Department encourages residents to remember the following sections of the city code regarding garbage, trash, junk and weeds:
- It shall be unlawful for any person to sweep, throw or otherwise deposit or cause to be swept, thrown or otherwise deposited any garbage, rubbish, paper, containers (either glass, metal or paper), or any substance of any kind in or upon any curb, gutter, street, avenue, highway, tunnel, sidewalk, park, parkway, vacant or occupied lot or the property of another person.
- Trees or parts of trees not more than twelve (12) inches in diameter and cut to less than ten (10) feet in length will be collected if piled behind the curb and with all tops placed in the same direction.
- Leaves, grass clippings, shrub clippings, etc., are to be placed behind the curb and in plastic bags or cardboard containers.
- Building debris such as lumber, plaster, roofing, concrete, brickbats or similar materials resulting from the construction, repair or demolishing of any building or structure on private property and dirt and rocks will not be removed by the Public Works Department, but the owner personally must cause this waste to be removed.
- It shall be the responsibility of all fence companies, tree surgeons, nurseries and landscape contractors or any individual or company doing work on private property to remove from the premises all residue and rubbish resulting from such work.
- The Mayor is authorized, empowered and directed to investigate the situation existing in the city as to any lot which is in such official’s opinion, in a condition which is unsanitary, dangerous and unsafe to the citizens of the city because of high grass, weeds, brush garbage, trash or other debris on such lot and which thus forms a breeding place for mosquitoes, insects, rats and other vermin.
- The Mayor is further directed, authorized and empowered to take such action to have such nuisances abated as is authorized and specified in the provisions of such section.